Our research group wants to improve and use magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) as a tool to obtain reproducible quantitative non-invasive structural and functional information of the human brain.
We work on two main fronts:
- develop novel MRI acquisition & analysis methods trying to push the limits of data quality;
- apply MRI to study healthy and clinical populations to answer basic cognitive neuroscience questions.
We use CIMeC’s 3T Prisma Siemens MRI equipment, which we also maintain and manage.
- precision MRI for brain anatomy microstructure;
- precision MRI for brain function dynamic connectivity;
- novel MRI markers for neurodegenerative diseases;
- brain structural and functional plasticity changes induced by invasive or non-invasive interventions;
- harmonization of MRI-derived biomarkers in multicentric studies.
- Jorge Jovicich, Principal Investigator
- Lisa Novello, PhD student
- Francesca Saviola, PhD student
- Nicola Pace, Medical Physicist
For a complete list see Jorge Jovicich personal page
Acronym: RETE-AD (NET -2011-02346784)
Full title: Development of operational research diagnostic criteria for diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease in the preclinical/predementia phase and implementation of SOPs for imaging and CSF biomarkers in Memory Clinics. An integrated care pathway for early diagnosis and best management in the National Health Service of five Italian regions.
Duration: from 1/09/2015 to 31/08/2019
Funding Legal Entity: Italian Ministry of Health
Programme/Action or Call: Bando di ricerca finalizzata 2011-2012
Principal Investigator: Fabrizio Tagliavini, Fondazione IRCCS Istituto Neurologico Carlo Besta, Milano, Italy
Role: As co-investigator, Prof. Jorge Jovicich, Center for Mind/Brain Sciences (CIMEC), University of Trento, participates in a working group (WP4) for the harmonization of MRI protocols of the consortium.
Full title: Structural and inflammatory components of cortical pathology in multiple sclerosis
Duration: from 01/04/2017 to 31/03/2020
Funding Legal Entity: Italian Foundation for Multiple Sclerosis (FISM)
Programme/Action or Call: Research call from the Italian Foundation for Multiple Sclerosis 2016
Principal Investigator: Roberta Magliozzi, Neurology Section of Dept. of Neuroscience, Biomedicine and Movement University of Verona, Italy
Role: As co-investigator, Prof. Jorge Jovicich, Center for Mind/Brain Sciences (CIMeC), University of Trento, assists with 3T and 7T brain MRI data acquisition and analyses of brain ex-vivo MRI.
Acronym: LASI (R01AG051125)
Full title: Harmonized Diagnostic Assessment of Dementia (DAD) For Longitudinal Aging Study of India
Duration: from 2015 to 2020
Funding Legal Entity: National Institute of Aging (NIA), U.S.A.
Programme/Action or Call:
Principal Investigator: Jinkook Lee, University of Southern California, U.S.A.
Role: As co-investigator, Prof. Jorge Jovicich, Center for Mind/Brain Sciences (CIMeC), University of Trento, assists with the multicentric 3T MRI protocol implementation in the India MRI centers.
- Alvarez Gonzalo, Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy and Imaging Group, Atomic Center and Balseiro Institute, Bariloche, Argentina
- Collignon Olivier, Cross-modal Perception and Plasticity Lab, Institute of Psychology, Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium
- Frisoni Giovani, Laboratory of Neuroimaging of Ageing, University of Geneve, Switzerlan
- Lee Jinkook, University of Southern California, U.S.A.
- Sarubbo Silvio, Division of Neurosurgery, “S.Chiara” Hospital, Trento APSS, Italy
- Della Maggiore Valeria, Physiology of Action Lab, Faculty of Medicine, University of Buenos Aires, Argentina